Friday, October 18, 2013

Dad is Bossypants

Jim Gaffigan’s Dad is Fat and Tina Fey’s Bossypants are two solid autobiographies. I read them both back-to-back and because there isn't a lot of plot, I thought I'd write a two-for-one. 

Dad is Fat
Prerequisite of reading: Having watched Jim’s “Hot Pocket” stand-up
My favorite part: "I am undeniably lucky to have married a women liek Jeanie. However, during our marriage there have been periods when she has become rather lazy. Jeannie describes these periods as "pregnancy.""

Jim fills his book with joke after joke after joke. His humor comes from every day situations and observations from a pretty self-centered guy. The people in his stories are more prop than human. There are no intimate details or personal reflection, just trips to the park and "don't tell Mom" ice cream. He's a father of five, an albino and super lazy. His life is obviously hilarious.

I read through this once and could read through it a hundred times. But, it wasn't a quick read for me. Although extremely funny, each joke was reminiscent of the last. If I read a chapter, it felt like nearly and hour of stand-up. He likes to break the forth wall, and in that way, you'll never truly feel like you're reading a narrative.

Bossypants
Prerequisite of reading: Having watched the 30 Rock pilot and SarahPalin SNL skits
My favorite line: "No, you don't get to say that about me. My parents loved me. You can't treat me like some abused adult child."

Tina has a slightly different style of humor. To me, the stories of her early beginnings and career evolution are fascinating and funny. Each story is interesting, improbable and riddled with self deprecation. I identify with this book because, like Tina, I'm extremely famous and funny. Or rather, I am socially awkward and unable to keep my mouth shut. I like that she develops her characters, and I can't help but love the behind-the scene feeling of it all. 

Her love letters to the people she's worked with make me feel like I learned more about her. With Jim's book, I pretty much know as much as the inside flap. I've read Bossypants now 2.5 times. While riding on the (#!%*) shuttle bus to work, it's my book of choice to fill the time. 

My personal autobiography (release date 2035) will probably contain some worthless dribble about loving my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment