Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dead Man's Mirror

I'll write a quick post for a very quick book. After a lot of serious reading, I decided to start on the less-than-scholarly trilogy Divergent. It is not a quick book. The first of the trilogy is 500+ pages. Of course, I'm almost all the way through it after 4 days because I'm a trashy novel shredder. Well, just before embarking on this journey, I decided to indulge in another Agatha Christie murder mystery.

I am not a fan of Sherlock Holmes novels. I find the character overly dramatic and I get bored very easily at the pompous dialogue. I think Dead Man's Mirror is Sherlock Holmes without the BS. Short, punchy and without fluff. Who done it?

The premiss: someone is meddling with Mr. Gervase Chevenix-Gore's business (clearly wealthy- did you see his name?). He sends detective M. Hercule Poirot to get to the bottom of it. But when Mr. Poirot arrives at the scene, it's too late for him to protect Gervase's wealth. BECAUSE HE'S DEAD. Get it? He's the dead man in the story!

There are many motives for murder at play. Many clues and testimonies to sift through. I don't like how Sherlock Holmes always has a twist ending that you would have never have been able to guess. But, with this, I don't mind.

A quick read that I recommend for any reading slump. It definitely was a momentum book that helped me take on a new challenge. Stay tuned for that and more next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment