Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Girl You Left Behind

This is by far one of my favorite books as of late. I bought it as whim, expecting nothing. I may be biased for that reason, because of how pleasantly surprised I was.

In a hotel in a small French town, sisters Sophie and Helene struggle to make a living while their husbands are at war. Protecting their children, brother and home becomes a daily struggle. Sophie is the center of the story, being the most clever and strong willed. She reflects back on her life as the wife of a skilled painter.

A portrait of Sophie, from what feels like a different world, is hung prominently in the hotel. World War I German soldiers occupy their town and eventually the hotel. The head of the German army becomes infatuated with her painting, and in some ways Sophie. The story stops short at the peak of conflict. Sophie is tested on far she is willing to go for her loved ones, and her beliefs.

Flash forward a hundred some years, and Sophie's painting lands in an English widow's possession. Olivia, or Liv, is unknowingly harboring this complex piece of art. In a vulnerable state, Liv is trying to find herself. Eventually Sophie's story becomes the key to Liv picking up the pieces of her own life.

That being said, I really could do without the flash forward. The story of Liv is much less interesting, and so much more fluffy. Yes, it adds a layer of suspense and depth to the story, but being thrown from such a beautifully written story to a Danielle Steel novel is a little jarring. It's not bad, it just has its fair share of painfully cliche plot lines.

Overall, I really liked this book. In terms of thought experiment, it's such a mind blower. I identify with Sophie in so many ways. When it comes to bravery, I don't think that we are equal at all. But when she speaks of her husband, their life before and after the war, I can relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment