Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Meditation on Family Game Night and Thanksgiving

The hubs and I just got back from the three-day-coma known as Thanksgiving. Despite my best efforts to read one of 5 books I brought along for the trip, it didn't really work out. No new books this week, but plenty of personal dribble, if you dare read on.

Before leaving for Thanksgiving, handfuls upon handfuls of co-workers and friends told me that this would be THE year. This is the first year I'm officially a part of the Jack family, and the first holiday not as a Lund. Exciting and terrifying stuff.

What was supposed to make this year different, was "setting a precedent for holiday attendance". Everyone told me to be aloof, and put in minimal effort, so as to have a rock-bottom to start from. Instead, we ended up going to three Thanksgiving dinners in 4 hours. And it was fabulous.

The night before Thanksgiving, my mom, dad and husband engaged in what is quickly becoming a holiday tradition. Game night. But like most traditions, it turns hostile. It started with an innocent game of "Taboo". For those of you not familiar, you and your partner take turns giving each other clues to a word. For example, "tree" could be described as "you find it in a forest". You guess until you're able to say the word based on your partner's clues.

This game becomes increasingly difficult when you become intoxicated. "Tree" suddenly turns into "that thing that's in the place where bears live". And, of course, we partook in party libations while playing the first few rounds. Everything was going well, until things got ugly. All I remember is yielding the last 10 seconds of my time while glaring when Andrew couldn't guess the "Empire State Building". I was disgusted. I have since apologized.

So we switched to Apples to Apples. Let's just say that what was supposed to be played as a team made my family turn like animals. My competitive spirit was satisfied when I won 16 hands and won the game. I might have made a few people cry, but I won a card game. Sorry (I'm not sorry) to the weaker beings that couldn't handle the heat that was my kitchen.

Throughout the holiday, I found myself reverting back to my child-like habits. I would eat food, and leave it out for my parents to clean up. I grabbed new glasses every time I wanted water, instead of reusing them. I left those glasses all around the house. In true fashion, I became lazy and lethargic. Books? What books? I was in denial. Readers, I let you down. My 13-year-old self is sorry.

Thursday morning, we enjoyed three delicious Thanksgiving meals. As much as we tried to plan the eating situation, we ended up stuffed and fat by 5 pm. But honestly, no regrets here. We've have 5 years of great Thanksgivings behind us, all uniquely wonderful. Just because we're married doesn't mean we have life figured out. I have a feeling I'll be stumbling through this for many more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment