Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye and My Dialated Eye

I could take responsibility for not posting on Friday as usual, but I'd rather blame it on the alcohol. It's Halloween weekend, folks. Cheers.

I've heard mixed reviews about The Catcher in the Rye. Some were forced to read this in High School, and as such, hate everything about it. Some picked it up later in life and had very little to say. My friend Megan (yes, famous Megan from Fiterature.com) highly recommended it as a read-on-an-annual-basis book. Clearly, I needed to know what the fuss was about.

Holden Caulfield is an arrogant son-of-a-gun, who rationalizes just about everything. He's fickle. He's jaded. He has a strange way of interrupting the world and acts like a goofy moron. Throughout the book, beginning to end, he's an entirely unlikeable character.

"I don’t give a damn, except that I get bored sometimes when people tell me to act my age. Sometimes I act a lot older than I am - I really do - but people never notice it. People never notice anything"

"People always clap for the wrong things."

"That's something that annoys the hell out of me- I mean if somebody says the coffee's all ready and it isn't."

What I liked the least about The Catcher in the Rye, was how much I related to Holden. As a fresh college graduate and newlywed, there are times where I have no idea where my life is going. There are times where I am immature and hypocritical. There are more times than not that I feel like I don't understand the realities of the world. At this juncture, my husband and I are faced daily with decisions and opportunities that could change the entire course of our lives together.

Sometimes, it is hard to see yourself in the mirror. Sometimes, it's hard to hear your kid sister tell you that you hate everything and to shut-up about it. In a way, reading this book made me feel more grounded. It's important to act like an adult and take life seriously sometimes. I can tell now why some people feel it's good to read it regularly.

As I travel into the world of adulthood, I have new responsibilities. That can sometimes be exciting (like driving!) and it can sometimes be down-right poopy (figuring out your 401K!). One of those responsibilities includes being responsible for your health, and proactively managing it. I went to the eye doctor on Thursday. CHECK THAT EYE OUT!



This was the first time EVER that I took the initiative to go to the doctor by myself and I'll be damned if I won't post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment