Friday, November 15, 2013

Matched Games

I'm having a hard time getting through Me Talk Pretty Some Day. I'd like to break my own rule and force myself to read it for tonight's blog post. But instead, enjoy these short and sweet reviews of my guiltiest pleasures.

I know, I know. They're what you'd call 'trash books'. I know, it's 'mainstream'. Guys, I have a pair of Ray-Bans. I know what I'm talking about.

Hunger Games
The first book of the series introduces a bad-ass female lead, Katniss, who sacrifices her livelihood for her sister's safety. She is pitted against 23 other kids who are willing to fight to the death to appease an aristocracy created by war. Intense stuff.

The first book is lively, entertaining and, at times, brilliant. Luckily, I was forewarned that the first book of the series would be spectacular, and the last two books would be less than. If I had gone forth with the first book and expected the second and third to be even remotely in the same level, I would have been disappointed. Obviously, I can really only talk about the first book without any spoilers... but it's a let down. Overly dramatic and predictable, I felt like a bitter ender.

Matched
This was recommended to me as a post-Hunger Games book. Dare I say that this series as a whole was better than Hunger Games? Yes, I do dare. Because I'm sorry (not sorry), but the last book was garbage.

Think: 1984 mixed with a little Fahrenheit 451 and a smidgen of Twilight. Matched, like Hunger Games, features a strong female lead. She is intelligent, talented and content. Everything she does is dictated by rule enforcers. There are few surprises, but everyone seems to have what they need. Her dystopian society really becomes dystopian as the rituals that hold it together become exposed as imperfect.

My only real gripe about the book (yes, besides it being cliche, a little simplified and cutesy) is that the main character never experiences hardships with the society in the beginning. Yes, people can't exercise as much as they want, but somehow she has a pass to workout however she wants. Some people aren't allowed outdoors much, but she gets to take a hiking course. What? I have a hard time liking her at first because it seems like she's just privileged and oblivious. Yes, eventually that wears away, but at first the rebellious streak seems forced. Next to Katniss, she's a bit of a poser.

But really, it's good enough to read! For those of you experiencing post-Games withdraws (with movie 2 coming out, I hope not, you junkies), it could be a good quick fix.

Match Game
For those of you who might be familiar with Match Game, popular in the 1970's, I'm sorry for the misleading title. For those of you who have no idea what I'm taking about, it's a game show where Gene Rayburn would tell hilarious stories and leave a blank in hilarious places. For example, 'John said to Mary, "I'm tired of your ____ing."' The contestants would fill in the blank and try and match the fabulous celebrities.

It's a far cry from a guilty pleasure. I love this show.

As an added bonus, here's my dream panel:

Richard Dawson (duh)
Charles Nelson Riley (only in his most dramatic years)
Brett Somers (she's the glue)
Scoey Mitchell (his voice is like Morgan Freeman's on helium)
Betty White (she outlived them all)
Fannie Flag (the boobies, duh)

1 comment: